Lifestyle • 29 January 2021
It’s been a firm favourite in the beauty industry for decades and, with more home-use devices harnessing its power, LED light therapy is the topic on everyone’s lips. Originally used by NASA to assist with plant growth, the technology was soon adapted to be used in both salons and at home.
But how exactly does it work, is it safe and why should you care? We answer these questions, and more, in our lowdown on one of the sector’s hottest treatments.
What is LED light therapy?
LED light therapy - or light emitting diode - is an effective, non-invasive, pain-free treatment that involves exposing your skin to an array of coloured wavelengths. This triggers the body’s natural rejuvenation and repair process. When used regularly, LED light therapy can improve your skin and leave long-lasting results.
What does it do?
In short, it can be used for a number of skin conditions and cosmetic concerns. These include fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage, rosacea, acne, eczema, psoriasis, and more. The LED light regenerates the skin’s cells, reducing inflammation, healing wounds, stimulating collagen and restoring radiance. Your skin will be left feeling plumper, fresher and more hydrated.
How does it work?
The treatment uses different wavelengths of light to stimulate the skin’s natural healing process. As the light is absorbed into the skin’s different layers, various reactions take place.
- Red light therapy is ideal for treating fine lines, wrinkles and inflammation. It’s also extremely effective for tackling acne and rosacea as well as sun-damaged skin.
- Blue light therapy is best-suited for acne as it helps to eliminate the bacteria that causes breakouts and reduces oil production. While it can be used on its own, pairing it with red light kills acne bacteria and promotes the healing process.
- Near-infrared light is the deepest absorbed wavelength. It’s used to reverse signs of ageing, improve elasticity, stimulate wound healing and reduce inflammation.
- Green light therapy is used to treat pigmentation, dark circles, sunspots and broken capillaries. Irritated or over-stimulated skin also benefits from it.
- Yellow light therapy stimulates the skin’s rejuvenation process, reducing redness and wrinkles while boosting circulation.
Does it actually work?
Yes, we wouldn’t have created our very own range of LED products if it didn’t. As well as being loved by professionals in the industry all over the world, it’s also been used by Navy SEALs to help heal wounds. They reported improvements in those suffering with musculoskeletal injuries.
Are there any other benefits of LED light therapy?
The benefits are way more than just skin deep. In fact, it’s been proven to support the production of vitamin D. Users have also found that regular treatment lifts their spirits, reduces feelings of stress and improves energy levels.
What are the risks of LED treatments?
LED light uses longer wavelengths to penetrate the skin meaning cells are repaired, not damaged. As it doesn’t use UV rays, you don’t need to worry about burning your skin, and there’s also no scarring or downtime. It’s suitable for all skin types, including those suffering with sensitivity.
Where can I get it?
Like the sound of it? You’ll be pleased to know we have our very own collection of award-winning LED products, each designed to renew your complexion on a cellular level.
The original CURRENTBODY skin LED Light Therapy Mask combines red and near-infrared light therapy to deliver both immediate and long-term benefits. These include firmer skin, reduced wrinkles and improved skin tone. The same range also includes The Neck and Dec Perfector - an anti-ageing, LED device ideal for targeting concerns on the neck and décolleté. Finally, there’s the CURRENTBODY skin LED Precision tool - a handheld device clinically proven to treat wrinkles, scars and stretch marks.
All devices use salon-grade technology to rejuvenate ageing skin, treat a range of skin conditions and also reduce superficial scars. So if you want to enjoy the perfect dose of LED light therapy from the comfort of your own home, shop our CURRENTBODY skin range now.